Guidelines on Golf with the Bunker Boys Golf Society
The Bunker Boys play out of The Sports Lounge located on Soi Buakhao (adjacent to Soi 21 and opposite Tree Town) every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. (The location is easily recognised by the Sports Lounge and Bunker Boys Signs)
People interested in playing should sign in at the latest by 9.20am on the morning of play with players departing at 9.40am, normally for an 11am tee off. Breakfast, tea and coffee are available for early arrivals.
The number of tee times booked will depend on the time of year with a maximum of 8 (32players) and entries will be accepted for the number of tee times available. If more people turnup, it will depend on the availability of transport and a phone call to the course to see if they can accommodate the additional players.
Usually enough players have vehicles and are willing to transport players to and from the golf venues. Passengers are expected to donate THB 300 (plus any road tolls) to the Driver for this service. This should be given immediately prior to commencing the journey. In the event there is insufficient transport a minibus will be hired.
There are lockers at the bar which are available to store golf clubs. Most of these are leased out annually on a first come first serve basis with a few available for short time hire. The limit is one locker per person. There are also a few sets of clubs available for hire
The Lockers are for the storage of Golf and associated equipment. Strictly no food or dirty clothes.
The Golf Society or The Sports Bar will not accept responsibility for items that may go missing or become damaged.
The Golf is organised by a committee consisting of N Glover – Captain, J Carr – Vice Captain, T Robbins – Treasurer, M Brett – Reports, G Parker – Statistics and P Smith.
The Bunker Boys Society is open to all, and actively encourages new participants (although players are expected to be able to play to a 36 handicap). There are no fees for joining the Bunker Boys, however the club is associated with the Pattaya Sports Club (PSC) and all players are encouraged and expected to be members of the PSC to avail of the handicapping system and the discounts at the various Golf Courses and Pattaya retail locations negotiated by the PSC. Occasionally a golf course may request to see the PSC membership card to qualify for the discounted green fee price, if the player is not a PSC member, he will be required to pay the standard green fee. New players and short-term visitors are allowed a maximum of 3 initial rounds but are expected to join the PSC as soon as possible within that time.
The club uses the PSC for handicaps following the USGA handicapping system and handicap updates are issued according to the WHS (World Handicapping System). The club submits all cards to the PSC after each game.
The Bunker Boys use the Index issued by the PSC as the playing handicap for the day, players are expected to know their handicap Index. The maximum handicap for a Bunker Boys competition is 36. If playing on a course with indexing 1 to 9 instead of 1 to 18 players with odd number handicaps receive the extra stroke on the back nine.
All players are expected to have a PSC handicap. For new players and short-term visitors a certified home handicap will be accepted until they have a PSC handicap.
If a player’s PSC handicap exceeds his home handicap by more than 2 shots the player must play off his home handicap plus 2 until sufficient scores have been submitted for his handicap to be normalised
Where a regular Bunker Boys player returns from a time away, he may continue on his previous PSC handicap (provided his period away does not exceed 12 months and his game has not significantly improved in his absence).
If a visiting player plays off a home handicap and wins, his handicap will be cut by 50% of the points scored above 37 for the duration of his stay or until he has an official PSC handicap (i.e 15 handicap player scoring 40 points has his handicap cut 2 shots to 13.)
Where a player has more than one local handicap, he must play off the lowest one. However, if a player has a higher handicap with PSC, he may play off the PSC handicap provided he can demonstrate to the committee’s satisfaction that he has submitted all of his cards to PSC
In the spirit of the game it is expected that Honesty and Integrity will prevail at all times.
Rules of Golf
All Bunker Boys Competitions strictly follow the Rules of Golf as published in January 2019 by the R&A and USGA. These had a number of changes which made several previous Local Rules redundant. In addition to any Local Rules issued by the Golf Course the Bunker Boys adopt the following Local Rules.
- Relief can only be taken from Ants and other stinging insects if they constitute a dangerous situation. Agreement must be obtained from a marker. Relief cannot improve a lie, line of sight or avoid other obstacles.
- Drop zones will not be used except for: The 1st hole on the Mountain Course at Laem Chabang, hole A8 at Pattana, hole 9 at Parichat and the 14th hole at Pleasant Valley. In each case the Ladies Tee maybe used.
- Relief must be taken from staked trees and young trees (not bushes) less than 2 metres in height and from regularly maintained, cultivated flower beds.
- In the interests of saving time a provisional ball may be played at any time (unless availing of option under point 11 below). If the original ball is found the player must continue with the original ball.
- Where Penalty Areas (water hazards) are not clearly marked, they should be treated as having red stakes allowing lateral relief. The break of slope or edge of mown area should be taken as the margin.
- Washed out areas, areas of excessive water damage and obviously abnormal ground conditions may be treated as Ground Under Repair subject to agreement of the marker. Under Rule 16.1c Free relief may be taken from Human damage (footprints etc) in Bunkers. A ball can be dropped at the nearest point of relief not nearer the hole in the Bunker (This does not apply to lines left by mechanical rakes or damage caused by the player them self)
- Rule 6-8, A player may discontinue play and take shelter during heavy rainstorms as well as danger from lightning.
- Edging grooves around greens maybe treated as GUR
- It is the players responsibility to ensure that Bunkers are properly repaired after playing from them.
- The USPGA suggested Local Rule for stroke and distance relief for Balls Lost or Out of Bounds can be used. Where a ball is lost or out of bounds instead of playing a provisional ball a ball may be dropped behind a line equidistant to the hole from the position where the ball is lost or goes out of bounds and a point two club lengths onto the nearest part of the fairway.
Where decisions on the Rules of Golf are required these will be decided by the Rules Committee currently Tony Robbins, Geoff Parker, Mike Brett and Niall Glover.
The club usually plays the Stableford format, however at least one medal round should be played each month. Competition will usually be played from the tees closest to 6,400 yards. On a hole where a player believes the carry off the tee is too great they can move to the red tee with a one stroke penalty.
Score cards must be returned latest by 6.45pm and presentations are at 7.00pm. It is expected that all players will return to The Sports Lounge for the 7pm presentation. Players must be present to collect prizes unless a valid reason has been given to the organiser prior to the competition. Where a golfer is not present the winnings will go to the “Delinquent Fund”, which will be used to provide a free drink to playing members when sufficient funds have accumulated. (Consideration will be given for special circumstances ie a prior commitment announced before play, accidents, breakdowns and emergencies). Once the presentation is complete it is final and there is no redress should an error be found to have occurred.
The daily competition costs ThB 220
This is split up as follows: Administration ThB20, Nearest Pins ThB50, and Competition ThB150
All players with a recognised handicap are expected to pay the fee and play in the competition although players without a recognised handicap will only play in the nearest pin competition.
Hole in One
Any player scoring a hole in one receives a trophy, THB 3,000 from the Club Funds and is expected to buy a drink for all members playing that day.
Minimum 4 players required for an official competition.
For less than 8 players pay 1st and 2nd places ( 60% and 40% rounded off)
8 to 14 players pay 1st 2nd and 3rd (50% 30% 20% rounded off)
15 to 19 players pay 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th (40% 30% 20% 10% rounded off)
20 to 24 players pay 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th (35% 25% 20% 15% 5% rounded off)
25 players and up pay 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and 6th (29% 24% 19% 14% 9% and 5% rounded off)
Nearest to the Pin
The Pot is divided by number of players rounded off to nearest 20baht with a minimum of ThB100 and a ceiling of ThB200. Where there are more than 24 players the payout will be ThB300
If there is no near pin on a hole the prize goes into the delinquent fund
In the event a competition is tied it will be decided by Count back. Last 9 holes played, last 6, last 3, last hole, if still equal go back hole by hole from 18th.
Golfer of Month
For each competition scores go towards the Golfer of the Month Trophy. All rounds are entered with the best 6 to count. In event of a tie the next best score counts.
At end of each month the winner receives a trophy and the society will provide a free round of drinks to all players present.
Adverse weather conditions
From time to time adverse weather conditions affect the golf courses and may result in “Winter Rules” being applied. The usual guide is that when Golf Carts are not allowed on the Fairway due to adverse conditions Winter Rules may apply. Winter Rules are lift, clean and replace within 6inches, on closely mown areas only.
In the event that play cannot be completed because of bad weather the following will apply:
If 50% or more of the field complete the round the competition will stand. If less than 50% complete the round the competition will be cancelled and entry fees less the admin fee will be refunded.